HD PENTAX-D FA★50mmF1.4 SDM AW
- 35mm Full Frame
- Single Focus
A new-generation, high-performance Star-series lens delivering superb imaging power and exceptional resolving power
This large-aperture, single-focus standard lens is the newest model in the acclaimed PENTAX Star (★) series — the lineup boasting the best imaging performance of all PENTAX lenses for use with K-mount digital SLR cameras. The lens delivers the superb imaging power demanded of a new-generation, high-performance Star-series lens, assuring exceptional resolving power
from the center to the edges of the image field, even when set to open aperture.
Thanks to PENTAX-original lens coating technologies — including the latest Aero Bright Coating II assuring exceptionally low reflectance, and the high-grade HD Coating — it produces extra-sharp, high-contrast images free of flare and ghost images. Its dustproof, weather-resistant body also makes it extremely dependable and durable for shooting in demanding outdoor conditions.
This lens features a KAF4 lens mount compatible with an electromagnetic diaphragm control system. Cameras compatible with this system are K-1 Mark II, K-1, K-3 II, KP, K-70, K-3, K-S2, K-S1 and K-50. For K-1, K-3 II, K-3, K-S2, K-S1 and K-50, the camera’s firmware must be upgraded to the latest version.
If this lens is mounted on a camera without proper firmware upgrade, its diaphragm control mechanism becomes inactive, making it impossible to obtain correct exposure.
Included Accessories: Lens Hood PH-RBB72, Lens Cap O-LC72,Lens Mount Cap K,Lens Case S100-140
Aperture: F5.6, Shutter speed: 1/100sec, Focal length: 50mm, White balance: Auto, ISO sensitivity: 200, Finishing touch/Custom image: Portrait Photo by Masatsugu Ide
Aperture: F1.4, Shutter speed: 1/1600sec, Focal length: 50mm, White balance: Daylight, ISO sensitivity: 100, Finishing touch/Custom image: Muted Photo by Masatsugu Ide
Aperture: F2.2, Shutter speed: 1/800sec, Focal length: 50mm, White balance: Auto, ISO sensitivity: 200, Finishing touch/Custom image: Portrait Photo by Masatsugu Ide
Aperture: F8.0, Shutter speed: 1/400sec, Focal length: 50mm, White balance: Daylight, ISO sensitivity: 100, Finishing touch/Custom image: Bright Photo by Yoshiaki Kobayashi
Aperture: F9.0, Shutter speed: 1/60sec, Focal length: 50mm, White balance: Auto, ISO sensitivity: 100, Finishing touch/Custom image: Landscape Photo by Yoshiaki Kobayashi
Aperture: F5.0, Shutter speed: 1/6sec, Focal length: 50mm, White balance: Daylight, ISO sensitivity: 200, Finishing touch/Custom image: Natural Photo by Yoshiaki Kobayashi
Aperture: F2.0, Shutter speed: 1/200sec, Focal length: 50mm, White balance: Daylight, ISO sensitivity: 100, Finishing touch/Custom image: Natural Photo by Yoshiaki Kobayashi
Aperture: F2.0, Shutter speed: 1/320sec, Focal length: 50mm, White balance: Daylight, ISO sensitivity: 100, Finishing touch/Custom image: Natural Photo by Yoshiaki Kobayashi
Aperture: F4.0, Shutter speed: 1/200sec, Focal length: 50mm, White balance: CTE, ISO sensitivity: 100, Finishing touch/Custom image: Muted Photo by Kiyotaka Kitajima
Features / Specifications
- New-generation, high-performance Star-series lens with large F1.4 maximum aperture
- This lens has been developed as a new-generation member of the high-performance Star series — a lineup designed to deliver extra-clear, high-contrast images with edge-to-edge sharpness by compensating various aberrations to a minimum. After conducting an extensive review of the Star-series standards, PENTAX has designed this lens to assure greatly improved resolving power, looking ahead to its use with more advanced, next-generation camera bodies. It provides exceptionally high imaging performance even at open aperture, in addition to a beautiful bokeh (defocus) effect and an outstanding image rendition at close ranges. Developed as the first model of the new-generation Star-series lenses, this large-aperture: standard lens boasts an extra-large F1.4 maximum aperture, useful with many different subjects in a range of applications, including portraiture with an effectively defocused background, and handheld shooting of indoor scenes.
- State-of-the-art optical technology
- The lens is treated with PENTAX-developed Aero Bright Coating II* — a lens-coating nanotechnology employing a super-low refractive film fabrication process. By coupling this advanced lens coating with the high-grade, multi-layer HD Coating** — which reduces average reflectance in the visible ray spectrum to less than 50% of conventional multi-layer coatings — this lens effectively reduces flare and ghost images to a minimum even in demanding lighting conditions such as backlighting. By incorporating three super-low dispersion glass elements and one aspherical element in its optics, it effectively compensates chromatic and spherical aberrations, and produces brilliant, high-contrast images with edge-to-edge sharpness. Since it minimizes distortion even at a focusing distance of approximately one meter, it produces crisp, distortion-free images over the entire focusing range, from the minimum focusing distance to infinity.
*A state-of-the-art, PENTAX-original lens coating technology developed from nanotechnology. It applies a silica aerogel layer with a uniform porous structure over a regular multi-coating layer to reduce surface reflections across a wide wavelength range and produce crisp, high-quality images.
**HD stands for High Definition.
- Dustproof, weather-resistant construction
- Developed as an AW (All Weather) model, this lens features a dependable dustproof, weather-resistant structure with eight special seals to prevent the intrusion of water and dust into the lens interior. When paired with a PENTAX weather-resistant digital SLR camera body, it forms a durable, reliable digital imaging system that performs superbly in demanding shooting settings — even in rain or mist, or at locations prone to water splashes or spray.
- Newly developed ring-type ultrasonic wave motor SDM
- This lens features a newly developed ring-type SDM (Supersonic Direct-drive Motor), which generates as much as 7.5 times the torque of the conventional SDM installed in existing lenses. Thanks to this enormous driving power, the lens assures a smooth, high-speed shift of the heavy, multi-element rear lens group during focusing operation.
Ring-type ultrasonic wave motor SDM
- 1. Nine-blade, round-shaped diaphragm to produce a natural, beautiful bokeh (defocus) effect up to F2.8 aperture: setting, while minimizing the streaking effect of point light sources
2. A minimum focusing distance of 40 centimeters, effective in capturing images with a defocus effect
3. Electromagnetic diaphragm-control mechanism,* for flawless, high-precision exposure control during movie recording
4. SP (Super Protect) coating to keep the front surface free of dust and spots
* This mechanism is available when the lens is mounted on a K-1 Mark II, K-1, K-3 II, KP, K-70, K-3, K-S2 or K-S1, K-50 camera body.
- 【MTF Chart】
- Geometric optics MTF (MTF calculated without referencing the effects of light diffraction phenomenon)
- Wave optical MTF (MTF calculated referencing the effects of light diffraction phenomenon)
Spatial Frequencies S:Sagittal M:Meridional 10 lines/mm 30 lines/mm
Since it is impossible to avoid light diffraction phenomenon on the actual lens, wave optical MTF is more realistic.
However, geometric MTF is appropriate if you want to compare only the effects of geometric aberration correction on MTF.
Equivalent to 76.5mm in 35mm format (when attached to PENTAX APS-C size DSLR cameras)
|Lens Construction||15 elements in 9 groups|
|Angle of View (Diagonal)||47°(when attached to PENTAX 35mm full-frame SLR cameras)
31.5°(when attached to PENTAX APS-C size DSLR cameras)
|Minimum Focusing Distance||0.4m (1.3ft.)|
|Diaphragm Control||Electromagnetic diaphragm
|Number of Diaphragm Blades||9
Rounded diaphragm （50mm:F1.4-F2.8）
|Lens Hood||PH-RBB72 (included)|
|Lens Cap||O-LC72 (included)|
|Lens Case||S100-140 (included)|
|Maximum Diameter x Length||approx. 80mm x 106mm (approx. 3.1in. x 4.2in.)|
|Weight||approx. 910g / with hood approx. 955g
(approx. 32.1 oz./ with hood approx. 33.7oz.)
|Humidity||85% or less (no condensation)|
|Included Accessories||Lens Hood PH-RBB72, Lens Cap O-LC72,
Lens Mount Cap K,Lens Case S100-140
Aero Bright Coating II
SP (Super Protect) Coating
AW (All Weather Resistant)
Quick-shift Focus System (QFS/M)
SDM (Ultrasonic Motor)
Compatible Converters (Click here for details)
A 1.4x -S : X
A 2x -S : X
HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4x AW*
Phase-matching: ◯ Contrast-detection: ◯
*The maximum aperture is set at F2.4