Upgraded image quality by applying the latest lens coatings
The development of this new lens was based on the smc PENTAX-FA35mmF2AL — a very popular multi-purpose, wide-angle lens used on film-format SLR cameras — while conducting a thorough review of lens coatings.
The high-grade, multi-layer HD Coating has been applied to the optical elements to produce high-contrast images with edge-to-edge sharpness and free of flare and ghost images; the highly stain-repellent SP Coating has been applied to the front surface to improve the lens’s usability in outdoor locations. The exterior has been totally redesigned to match the design of latest PENTAX K-mount digital SLR models, while its compact, portable body makes it a perfect everyday-use lens.
*Please apply the latest updater of Digital Camera Utility 5 when you handle images taken by this lens on Digital Camera Utility 5. In case the software version is old, the name of this lens can not be displayed correctly. Digital Utility 4 and below can not display the name of this lens correctly.
Included Accessories: Lens Hood PH-RBG49, Lens Cap O-LC49, Lens Case S80-80, Lens Mount CapK
JAN-Code / 4549212 300974
Aperture: F5.6, Shutter speed: 1/80sec, Focal length: 35.0mm, White balance: Daylight, ISO sensitivity: 100, Finishing touch/Custom image: Landscape Photo by Keita Sasaki
Aperture: F4.0, Shutter speed: 1/500sec, Focal length: 35.0mm, White balance: Shade, ISO sensitivity: 100, Finishing touch/Custom image: Vibrant Photo by Keita Sasaki
Aperture: F2.8, Shutter speed: 1/500sec, Focal length: 35.0mm, White balance: CTE, ISO sensitivity: 100, Finishing touch/Custom image: Vibrant Photo by Keita Sasaki
Aperture: F2.8, Shutter speed: 1/400sec, Focal length: 35.0mm, White balance: Daylight, ISO sensitivity: 100, Finishing touch/Custom image: Bright Photo by Keita Sasaki
Aperture: F2.8, Shutter speed: 1/8sec, Focal length: 35.0mm, White balance: CTE, ISO sensitivity: 100, Finishing touch/Custom image: Flat Photo by Keita Sasaki
Aperture: F2.0, Shutter speed: 1/50sec, Focal length: 35.0mm, White balance: Fluorescent -Warm White, ISO sensitivity: 100, Finishing touch/Custom image: Flat Photo by Keita Sasaki
Features / Specifications
- HD Coating to enhance imaging power
- After a thorough review of the lens coatings applied to the popular smc PENTAX-FA35mm F2AL, PENTAX applied the latest HD Coating* to this lens.
Compared to conventional multi-layer coatings, this high-performance, multi-layer coating reduces average reflectance and improves light transmittance to deliver extra-clear, high-contrast images free of flare and ghost images, even in demanding lighting conditions such as backlighting.
* HD stands for High Definition.
【Backlighting tolerability comparison】
Photo by Conventional "smc PENTAX-FA35mmF2AL"
Photo by "HD PENTAX-FA35mmF2"
- SP Coating to repel stains
- Applied to the lens’s front surface, the SP (Super Protect) Coating is highly repellent to water and grease, making it easy to wipe off any stains.
This frees the photographer from worries in outdoor photography.
- New exterior design to match latest digital SLR models
- While retaining the overall size of the original smc PENTAX-FA35mmF2AL, this lens features a totally new exterior design, similar to that of the latest DA- and D FA-series lenses. This new appearance makes this single-focus lens a perfect partner for latest K-series digital SLR models.
Since this lens retains the aperture ring, it also accommodates many of the functions provided by film-format SLR cameras and older K-mount digital SLR models, making it possible to enjoy photography using a greater range of cameras.
- Easy-to-use standard lens
- When mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body, this lens provides a moderately wide 35mm angle of view with a full-frame model, or a standard 53.5mm angle of view with an APS-C-format model. Since it provides a natural perspective similar to that of the naked eye, it can be used as a multi-purpose standard lens in a wide range of applications, including snapshooting, scenic photography and portraiture. It also features a minimum focusing distance of 0.3 meters.
- Compact, portable design
- Weighing approximately 193 grams and measuring a mere 44.5 millimeters in length, this lens has been designed to be extremely compact and highly portable for carefree photography at any location and on every occasion.
- Hybrid aspherical optical elements
- The lens incorporates hybrid aspherical optical elements to effectively compensate for various aberrations. Thanks to these elements, it delivers extra-clear, high-contrast images from the minimum focusing distance to infinity, and edge-to-edge sharpness even at open aperture.
- 【MTF Chart】
Geometric optics MTF (MTF calculated without referencing the effects of light diffraction phenomenon)
Wave optical MTF (MTF calculated referencing the effects of light diffraction phenomenon)
Spatial Frequencies S:Sagittal M:Meridional 10 lines/mm 30 lines/mm
Since it is impossible to avoid light diffraction phenomenon on the actual lens, wave optical MTF is more realistic.
However, geometric MTF is appropriate if you want to compare only the effects of geometric aberration correction on MTF.
Equivalent to 53.5mm in 35mm format
(when attached to PENTAX APS-C size DSLR cameras)
|Lens Construction||6 elements in 5 groups|
|Angle of View (Diagonal)||63°
44° (when attached to PENTAX APS-C size DSLR cameras)
|Minimum Focusing Distance||0.3m (0.98ft.)|
|Diaphragm Control||Fully automatic|
|Number of Diaphragm Blades||6|
|Lens Hood||PH-RBG49 (included)|
|Lens Cap||O-LC49 (included)|
|Lens Case||S80-80 (included)|
|Maximum Diameter x Length||approx. 64mm x 44.5mm (approx. 2.5in. x 1.8in.)|
|Weight||approx. 193g / with hood approx. 213g(approx. 6.8oz./ with hood approx. 7.5oz.)|
|Humidity||85% or less (no condensation)|
|Included Accessories||Lens Hood PH-RBG49, Lens Cap O-LC49, Lens Mount Cap K, Lens Case S80-80|
SP (Super Protect) Coating
Compatible converters (Click here for details)
A 1.4x -S A 2x -S HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4x AW※
Phase-matching: ◯ Contrast-detection: ◯
*When mounted, this converter closes down the lens's maximum aperture by one stop.